Episode 41 - Casey Carr-Jones on how to create a killer resume
In this episode we're talking to Casey, she's a HR consultant and founder of Jump Start Resume. We discuss the mistakes people make on their resume, what a good resume actually consists of, how to deal with gaps on resumes and what recruiters look for when they are hiring.
Who is she? Casey is a HR professional and the founder of Jump Start Resume
earlessly because? Casey helps people with their personal branding and is committed to helping veterans transfer into the civilian workforce
Her Work: HR consulting and reviewing resumes
Her Passion: Travelling and ensuring people are getting their dream jobs
Her role models: J.K. Rowling, Sadie Lincoln, Jennifer Fleiss and Jennifer Human
Is she could give her younger self any piece of advice she would tell her that if she is going to run like a girl, fight like a girl and throw like a girl she is going to kick ass.
- A lot of recruiters might only spend 30 seconds looking at a resume before making a decision, make sure yours gives of a good first impression
- A good resume needs to show: who you are, what you've learned, what you've done, your biggest accomplishments, what you are looking for.
- When describing a job make sure you are specific in what your actual role was
- Keep your resume in line with the industry you are applying in
- Keep your personal branding consistent
- Find transferrable skills in what you have done before
- Don't forget to include hobbies
- Put information about potential gaps in your resume into your cover letter
- Make sure you let people know if you are putting them down as a reference and ask for their permission first
Get in touch with:
Liked this episode?
Episode 40 - Peita Diamantidis on how to become your own financial superhero
Episode 30 - Anna Hodges on getting what you are worth in salary negotiations
Episode 10 - Carissa Hill on building businesses