Belgrade - Bali (Embracing the single life)
Another day, another airport lounge :) We're leaving Belgrade after about 2.5 weeks and are heading over to Bali! This means we're finally heading back to summer and it also means we're on our way to Asia. I've always said I wanted to go to Asia with less than 20kg of luggage, however last month didn't go so smoothly as it was the first month during which I actually GAINED weight, rather than losing it.
I flew to Belgrade with 25.8 kg. So let's see how I did this month!
One of the things I needed to stop doing was "living like home". By that I mean that, if you are at home you have a few pairs of jeans, you have a couple of the same t-shirts and you can basically dress for any kind of situation a number a days in a row. That's not the way this travelling light thing works. So this month my mission was to get rid of all my double belongings and "embrace the single life".
I worked a lot of hours with the refugees this month, and seeing their need for clothes made it so much easier for me to let go of the things I didn't really need. My family also came and visited, meaning I had the opportunity to send home some of the things I did want to keep.
- 3 t-shirts
- 3 bra's and some other underwear (apparently that's some of the things they really need)
- 2 scarfs (because Belgrade is COLD)
- 1 pair of pants
- iPhone 6 charger (found it in London)
- 1 warm vest (won't be needing that in Asia :) )
What I sent home:
- one long dress, which I thought would be perfect to travel the world... and I ended up hardly ever wearing
- 1 short dress (c'mon girl, do you really need TWO black dresses?)
- bikini bottoms
- a baking tray (don't even ask me why I was travelling with one)
- 2 t-shirts
- my teddy bear, he helped me feel safe during my PTSD times, but guess what.. those are over! *happy dance*
- my yogamat, I suck at practicing at home (I just don't do it
- my canvas bag, another thing I had two of, like I said, embracing the single life from now on ;)
- my hat, yes it's fabulous and I would have loved to take it, however it's the most impractical thing for motorbike trips (which we'll be doing). My mom will be keeping it safe for me
- Broke my spork coming to Belgrade :(
- Gave away one of the books I finished
- and finally decided to throw out the pair of warm socks that had turned into more "hole" than "sock" over the last few years
What I got in Belgrade:
- 1 scarf (that I later donated)
- 1 scarf my parents brought me from home
- Christmas decorations from my grandmother (very sweet)
- 2 warm pairs of socks (I will NOT travel without my warm socks. ever.)
- some pantyhose (you can never find them when you really need them + they turn every pair of shorts into autumn clothing)
- cosmetic supplies (also, better to have on hand)
- the two I brought with me (5 months ago) both broke down. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to find an iPhone 4 charger in Serbia
- a book from my mother
I needed to lose 6 kg in order to achieve my goal and head to Asia with >20kg. I didn't quite make that.. However at the moment I am travelling with..
21.3 kg to Bali. Meaning I have to drag 4.5 kg less around the world with me. I was even able to lift my backpack, without seeming like a turtle that's fallen on it's back, this morning. That's what I'd call progress ;)